Yesterday I snuck back to the boat shed with my little apprentice.
We found that the epoxy had set nicely. So far I’ve yet to have had a problem with the West system epoxy even when skirting the edges on the temperature limits of the 205 fast hardener. But it is always a nice relief to find the laminated Wood solidly bonded.
So we started the process of removing the multitude of clamps holding the laminated frame for 24 hours. I then put it in the hull at the appropriate location.
The epoxy squeeze out still needs to be cleaned up and the whole frame will be planed down to 1″ thick. The outer frame will be bevelled to match the angle of the hull and the ends will be cut down to mate with the completed inwhales.
I also flipped the frame upside down and found that it looked like a great shape to mimic for an eventual canvas cover for camping… But that is a project for much later. First I need to finish the inwhale laminations and continue to fit out the interior of the boat.
The plans drawn by Ian Oughtred are incredibly detailed but there are several rig options to include in the plans and so some details are just lightly addressed. The one that popped up for me was with the choice of the gunter yawl rig the plans show the location of the chainplates and frame for the gunter sloop rig but not gunter yawl.
I had to do some math to look at the distance of the mast step from the chainplates and frame location and then transfer that based on the location of the three sail gunter yawl mast location on the plans. I guess it is there but you have to work a little harder to get the answer.
I have committed to my approach and now the challenge was to measure the shape of the frame I will have to laminate at the intersection of the chainplates. I read a nice description of the use of the “joggle stick” by John Welsford http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/15/howto/jogglesticks/index.htm#.WnklLvyIY0M
Which I liked as a faster process than making a template with hot glue.
Pardon the low quality of images, the protective lens on my cell phone cracked unexpectedly in the cold. I’ve been able to fix it and the camera is back to its old form.
Then transferred the joggle stick points to a sheet of plywood.
I also glued down the floor 2.5 and started to fillet all the laps on the inside of the hull.
Projects, images, and ideas for my little piece of the internet