Caledonia yawl project: Spars and rigging

20210825_141922

I made the remaining thumb cleats, jam cleats and fairleads needed just in time to be varnished along with the spars.

I also rounded out the base of all of them that would be attached to a spar, so that they are seated well.

20210825_163749
20210826_175349

I also made a copper 6 gauge wire lock for the boomkin brace.

20210826_181138

It rained for a couple days so I moved all the varnishing inside and kept the fan running to help the drying process.

20210827_122509

I’ve also been holding on to pre-1996 pennies that have a high copper content for precisely this use. It is kind of fun to put in some centennial pennies somewhere were they will continue to be admired.

20210827_151926
20210827_151941

Then onto making rope strops for the blocs while I wait for the varnish to dry.

20210827_163736
20210827_170941

This was a super satisfying moment to see this come together into fully functional blocks. This fiddle block with two eyes was the most complex of them all.

20210827_162418

The dyneema is easy to work with and is so stiff that getting everything snug and tight was relatively easy.

20210827_185301

I have home made, blocks for the main, jib and mizzen as well as the jib halyard.

Today is the eve of my self imposed launch deadline. So I also started doing all the leathering on the spars.

20210828_204014

Tomorrow will be a full day preparing for the launch at the Jericho Sailing Centre. My hope is to be ready by 4pm. I still have to splice the eyes for the halyards, the gaff span and leather the mizzen and boomkin. Then I think the last job will be lashing the sails on and running all the halyards and sheets.

20210828_192817
still a little work to do, but almost ready.

One thought on “Caledonia yawl project: Spars and rigging”

  1. Gwendal, you are a master craftsman, it is so impressive to follow the detail of your work.

    Can’t wait for the launch . . .

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.