The work has progressed in small increments on the hull. Each step did not really reveal a significant visual transformation that might show up on the camera. But they are small changes that will allow the hull to look great once painted.
I glued up the keel and the stems:
and after a few repeat visits added the keel pieced on either side of the centreboard slot.
Then we got to work sanding and planing down the keel and stems so that they were fair to the eye.
and distracted myself with paint selection ideas:
and put fillets of epoxy mixed with low density fairing filler in all the laps.
I then decided to add a small rub strip of wood on the lower edge of the sheer strake. The idea being that I like the way in helps to frame the sheer strake and that it might also serve a small function as well.
The last step before really getting down to the final preparation for painting is the outer gunwhale.
Today my brother Maël helped me with the beveling of the stems. This will create a bigger mating surface for the planking. This will provide a mating surface for the planks.
We did the bulk of the work with the power planer and then finished with the block plane and the spokeshave. I did notice that because the laminated stem has alternating grain, it is important to have a sharp blade to avoid ripping out any of the grain.
I also managed to do the glue up of the rudder assembly.
Next up will be setting up the station molds and getting ready to bevel the keelson. This boat will soon finally be taking shape.