Tag Archives: painting

CALEDONIA YAWL PROJECT: SUMMER PROGRESS

This summer was spent with 3 weeks away in France visiting family and friends. I was lucky enough to be able to get my fix of beautiful wooden boats in the port of Douarnenez.

20190601_183459
Gluing the rowlock riser out of small pieces of reclaimed mahogany

I’ve been lucky enough to have a few weeks where I was able to devote several weekends and evenings to the boat building. Although my progress has not been as quick as I’d hoped. My desire was to be finished for the labour day long weekend. But there is still so many things to do and I quickly realized that I was not in any position to keep to that desired deadline.

20190602_154532
Shaping the knees for the forward bulkhead

I shaped the forward and aft deck plywood to shape. It was tricky to scribe and cut just right. I was also pleased to see that the deck beams aligned nicely with fair curves.

20190727_170042

I then epoxied the underside as preparation for gluing them down.

20190728_140800

These are parts that will be hard to get to in the future. So I coated them in epoxy and painted them.

20190804_165511
Taped the deckbeam and kingplank for painting so that later I can glue the plywood to that unpainted surface.
20190804_192603
Primer in the front
20190804_192609
primer in the back
20190805_124834
The interior is all painted white to make it easier to see in the confined space.
20190810_211834
The underside of the decks are painted before gluing.
20190811_114249
testing out the location of the cleat and the padeye.
20190811_190930
Gluing down the decks and clamping with a mix of screws and clamps where possible
20190917_180526
My assistant made sure they still fit inside.

I did a nice fillet around the edge of the deck. The next step is to make the hatch covers. I will have a frame that protrudes so that water can’t seep through and into the bulkhead compartment. But Ideally it will be as low profile as possible. I’m thinking a 1cm fence on which the cover will rest. I think this will be preferable to a flush deck hatch which relies on a gasket to keep the water out.

20190917_180545
Looking forward to painting the rest of the interior soon

Caledonia yawl project: painting the waterline

This was profoundly satisfying. I used alkyld paints from Cloverdale paint on Terminal Avenue in Vancouver. The colour scheme is inspired by @captainMax’s (on Flickr) Sooty Tern in Sweden.

I like the bright colours. I hesitated a long time with something more like black with a thin yellow or light blue stripe. But in the end decided that white highlighted de clinker construction more.

20170923_152455

I taped the waterline that was still visible through the two primer coats and went to work painting.

20170923_153444

Two hours later it was all done

20170923_164421

I rolled and tipped with a brush to fairly good effect. I just found that the “nice roller” I’d selected lost quite a lot of fuzz. So I’ll have to do a bit of sanding before the second coat.