Tag Archives: lapstrake

Caledonia yawl project: sanding, fairing & more sanding

This is the part where the changes are almost imperceptible but where so much of the final appearance of the boat rests.

https://flic.kr/p/X19KTP

I’ve sanded and added low density fairing epoxy filler to the parts that needed it. Then the process of sanding continues. Each time a thin layer of dusts covers the hull everything appears more fair and smooth. This dangerous as I have learned when mudding drywall, what lies beneath needs to be exposed to be sure there aren’t any bumps, holes, bubbles or ripples that would be even more apparent once the paint is applied.

The seventh strakes (sheerstrake) and the Whiskey plank

The last two strakes,  are called the sheerstrakes as they  mark the sheer line of the boat’s profile.  The month of December has been colder than usual and so the progress has been arrested a little as I waited for the weather windows when the temperature is above 5°C or close enough so that the epoxy will set.

I was able to get the starboard sheerstrake glued early in December,  but the port Sheerstrake had to wait for the Christmas break.

Strake 7

    Starboard strake no. 7
Port seventh strake all glued up.
Seen from inside where I crawl to remove any squeeze out glue

All glued up and ready for the outer stems soon

Once the glue set for the port side I was able to declare the hull complete.  Tradition has it that the occasion is celebrated with with a little whiskey.

Next up is the planing of the bow and stern stems so that I can glue the outer stem pieces I made earlier.

Caledonia yawl project: the sixth strakes 

Today I started on the beveling of the landing for the sixth strakes. Before starting I laid them up in place to see how they landed and mark where I’ll cut the gains on the ends. It also feels good to get a preview of what it will look like.

20161105_144507
Cutting the gains on the very long sixth strake. Most of the gain is cut on the receiving fifth strake, (70-75%) but I like to cut the strake being fitted as well to leave a little more wood on both.
20161105_160103
The receiving gain all set to be glued up.
20161105_160112
The port sixth strake all whetted out with un-thickened epoxy before adding the thickening fibers West 406 & 403.
20161105_171326
All clamped up. It is 13-14 degrees C in Vancouver these days so it should set nicely overnight.

I was able to include my children with the removal of the clamps after it was glued up and they participated in roughing in the seventh strake on the starboard side.

20161106_130933
Removing the clamps the next day.
20161016_192950
Help with roughing in the seventh starboard strake.

 

20161016_191925
removing the clamps from the starboard sixth strake glue-up.

I’ll close this post with a little video of my daughter helping me with the removal of the clamps.

20161106_131030
Removing the clamps.