Tag Archives: laminations

Caledonia yawl project: the frame unveiled

Yesterday I snuck back to the boat shed with my little apprentice.

We found that the epoxy had set nicely. So far I’ve yet to have had a problem with the West system epoxy even when skirting the edges on the temperature limits of the 205 fast hardener. But it is always a nice relief to find the laminated Wood solidly bonded.

20180319_223551

So we started the process of removing the multitude of clamps holding the laminated frame for 24 hours. I then put it in the hull at the appropriate location.

20180320_200813

The epoxy squeeze out still needs to be cleaned up and the whole frame will be planed down to 1″ thick. The outer frame will be bevelled to match the angle of the hull and the ends will be cut down to mate with the completed inwhales.

20180320_202242

I also flipped the frame upside down and found that it looked like a great shape to mimic for an eventual canvas cover for camping… But that is a project for much later. First I need to finish the inwhale laminations and continue to fit out the interior of the boat.

Onwards, regaining momentum feels good.

Caledonia yawl project: inwhales and frames

The last couple weeks the temperature has been steadily increasing and getting up closer to ten degrees consistently. This has allowed to glue up the inwhales.

20180310_204957

There are three laminations to glue up on each side for the inwhales. Each are 1/2″ by 2″. The first one needs to be beveled down but 1/8″ to allow the inwhales to toe in slightly and not appear too flared. The second lamination needs to be tapered down to 1/4″ at the ends so that the mass of the inwhales does not look too bulky at the bow and stern. The last lamination is full size all the way along.

20180317_170026

All this to say that the preparations for each lamination takes some time. They also have a fair bit of curve and so I have needed to mobilise all the clamps at my disposal.

20180318_150950

Finally this evening with the threat of rain held back for another day I tackled gluing the shroud chainplate compression frame.

IMG_20180319_230118_903

I worked on a flat surface to set it all up and then once it was all clamped up, I tilted the plywood backing up and screwed it to the shed wall where it would away from the elements.

I am feeling good about the progress and now that the cross country season is winding down, I hope to be able to get through a few more big milestones in outfitting the inside of the hull.

20180319_223551