Tag Archives: laminating

Caledonia Yawl project: Carbon, Graphite and laminations

This evening was productive. 

I managed to add the Uni-directional carbon fibre to the port side of the centreboard.

  

I also laminated another knee.

  
And also covered the port side of the rudder with epoxy mixed with graphite powder (west system 423) and a little colloidal silica (west system 406). This was a big step because now I can’t see the wood grain or the Kevlar weave pattern. All that remains is the shape of the blade, which is looking good.

  

Caledonia yawl project: dressing the stern apron and stem

On Saturday my assistant and I went to the lumber yard to get one more 2×3 to rip for the bow apron lamination and a couple 2×4’s that may end up being used for the floor timbers.

it was suprizingly chilly saturday, we got rain, wind and hail.
  
my assistant is ready to help me separate the apron and stem from the mould.
  
pulling the stem lamination away from the apron after the epoxy has cured
  
a good look at the epoxy that squeezed out and will have to be cleaned or planed off
 

Caledonia Yawl project: Gluing the the stern apron and stem laminate stripsĀ 

I had planned to glue the laminate strips in one go on Wednesday evening. But as things go when doing something for the first time, things take longer than expected. It was a cold evening and the epoxy was more viscous than I expected so spreading it on each laminate took much longer than I anticipated.

 

Dry-fitting the apron and stem

Continue reading Caledonia Yawl project: Gluing the the stern apron and stem laminate stripsĀ 

Last scarf, moving on to the aprons and stems.

This weekend I was able to get back up to speed on my Caledonia yawl project after missing a week. I glued one of the two scarfs on strake 2 and will leave the other to do when I’ve got the station molds up as there is the most twist in the forefoot of strake 2 and it will be easier apparently to glue it down first and then do the scarfs.

IMG_9316
Scarf clamping mechanism. the 2×4 is screwed to the 3/4″ plywood to keep it from warping.

 

It was then time to tackle the apron and stems of this Caledonia Yawl. I’ve decided to try the method of laminating thin strips 1/8″ of Douglas fir with epoxy and West system 403 microfibre additive. The part I’ve been struggling with is that in Ian Oughtred’s plans the apron is 2″ wide. So I need to find a stock of wood that is at least 2.25 or 2.5 inches wide so that after it is laminated I have a little margin to plane it down and fair it.

Punching through the plans to create a pattern for the mould that will be used for the lamination.

 

But all the standar lumber jumps from 1.75″ to 3.5″ and it seems wasteful to rip down a 4×4 timber just to get something 2.5″ wide. After a visit to a couple lumber yards I decided to get a few vertical grain clear 2×3’s and rip them along the wide edge to get the width of strips I need.

The stems are only specified to be 1.75″ wide and so I am able to use rough fir 2x4s to cut the lamination strips and I’ll have 1/4 inch of material to plane off and to keep it true.

Transcribing the bow apron and stem pattern.

After using my full sized plans of the bow and stern apron and stem to punch through all the reference points onto my pattern board. I traced it all out again.

laying out the blocks I will use to clamp the laminated wood. Note that I’ve also put down packing tape to make sure the epoxy won’t stick to the pattern.