Tag Archives: floors

Caledonia Yawl Project: fitting out the interior

The fitting out of the interior to get it ready for painting continues. I’ve been adding all the fittings to make it possible to have removable floors.

20200418_112929
Adding a cleat to the bulkhead to hold the bow floors down
20200425_133248
all glued up.

Adding little wedges to finish the bow inner and outer stem pieces.

20200418_112946

Cutting out the reclaimed cherry to make the boomkin brace

20200426_120012

And then deciding whether to place it at the bulkhead or further back? to interfere less with the motor well.

20200502_183613
20200502_183630

Then I tackled the bow chocks out of pieces of cheery from the neighbourhood that I had been seasoning for a while.

20200426_121337
20200426_122253
20200502_164357
20200502_162409
20200502_184719
20200502_193831
20200502_200901
20200502_232923

This was a very satisfying sculpting of wood. The cherry is hard but quite nice to work with.

20200502_232952

I’ve also built a backing plate for the motor well to have something to glue the piece of hull I will cut out to so that when sailing we can still have a nice smooth hull.

20200426_132421

The next step that has been slow going but necessary work is creating the hold-down tabs for the floors.

20200509_132653

I’m using leftover brass keel strip 1/2 rounds and small pieces of reclaimed mahogany as risers.

20200509_132657
20200509_141718
20200509_141724
20200511_182551
20200511_194951
20200511_215845
20200518_142944
20200518_150053

I had to glue a couple extra pieces to the floors to allow for the adequate spacing of the hold-down cleats.

20200517_143343
20200517_143350

I’ve also been spending extra time drilling oversized holes for the screws and then filling them with epoxy into which I will then set the screws. This will help prevent moisture entering the wood through the screw holes. I think this is especially important on all the horizontal surfaces where rain water might trickle down.

20200524_144346
20200517_143356

I’ve also shaped the tiller arm

20200522_174642

And cut the mortise in the rudder head

20200522_185827

It took a while but eventually it all fit nice and snugly.

20200522_194314

I even did the little wedge out of a small piece of mahogany

20200522_205159

The eye for the eventual reaching sail is now attached to the bow.

20200524_152917

I’ve also started on a pair of chocks for the stern. They will allow for stern tying to the beach or a shoreline and to tie the boat to a dock.

20200524_150353

Now i’m all caught up. with the last month and a half of work on the boat. I’m motivated to get done before summer gets underway. Once the floor cleat risers are glued. I’ll be ready to start prepping the hull for painting. I’ll start with doing all the parts that will have Decks Olje. The gunwhales, the mahogany trim and the cherry chocks. The rest will all be painted teal or white.