Over the last few weeks I’ve been going in several directions at once. Playing around with the rudder straps and figuring out exactly how to place them parallel on a curved aft stem. Sourcing nice bronze rowlocks, small cleats and trying to find a reasonable amount of Sitka spruce for the masts and spars.
But the fitting of the hull was slightly stalled. Mostly because I was still a little stuck fitting the deck beams and the kingplank. But with some playing around I’ve finally fit it in a way that seems to work.
I came up with a nice gusset for connecting the kingplank to the bow that will allow me to screw down the head stay to a very solidly fitted pad eye.
I also installed the bow eye that is bolted right through the stem.
Then when everything was fitting well, I took the plunge and glued it all together. I had a small scare when one pot of epoxy set off much faster than expected (I had maybe miscounted my hardener pumps?) but recovered and was able to make a fairly nice fillet along the whole length of the bulkhead.
The next stage is to figure out what kind of access hatch I’d like to put in the top. I don’t think the two access holes in the bulkhead are sufficient. The curved fore deck will however make it a more complex little hatch to create. Particularly if I want to keep the profile low and water tight.
This weekend the weather started to turn through the day on Saturday. In the morning it was wet and warmish. But as the day wore on the forcast bore itself out and the temperatures dropped steadily to -9 overnight. With this in mind I decided to forego any gluing and do more things that would set me up for some productive days of gluing when the temperatures start to rise.
I started by sanding all the fillets I had done in all the interior laps. The last set of fillets I plan on doing are between the aprons (inner stems) and the planking. This will strengthen the bond and present a better surface for painting and keeping clean.
I also cut all the scarfs needed to lay up three laminations od 1/2 ´´ thick Douglas fir that will be nearly 21’ long once glued up. I just found that my last pieces were a little knotty with some grain runout and so I could only get 8’ out of them. I will need to get two more lengths of 13’ 1/2” strips to have all the materials ready.
The work has progressed in small increments on the hull. Each step did not really reveal a significant visual transformation that might show up on the camera. But they are small changes that will allow the hull to look great once painted.
I glued up the keel and the stems:
and after a few repeat visits added the keel pieced on either side of the centreboard slot.
Then we got to work sanding and planing down the keel and stems so that they were fair to the eye.
and distracted myself with paint selection ideas:
and put fillets of epoxy mixed with low density fairing filler in all the laps.
I then decided to add a small rub strip of wood on the lower edge of the sheer strake. The idea being that I like the way in helps to frame the sheer strake and that it might also serve a small function as well.
The last step before really getting down to the final preparation for painting is the outer gunwhale.
Projects, images, and ideas for my little piece of the internet