Tag Archives: expoxy

Caledonia yawl project: fitting the centerboard well & breasthooks

I finally glued the last gunwale and with the magic of a belt sander I borrowed from my neighbour. I have been able to make it look nice and smooth. This is a tool I thought I’d only need occasionally but now that I’ve started to use it, it appears indispensable and I suppose that looking back shaping the keelson might have been easier if I had it.

20180414_165434

Next I tackled assembling all the pieces for the centerboard case.

20180415_151246

It is not super complex but you do need to pay attention to the dimensions in the plans and since they are unique it takes some planning to figure out what size stock you need to match the need. I spent a fair bit of time looking at the rows of clear douglas fir at the lumber yard figuring out what I wanted.

20180415_181735

what felt good is that everything roughed in really nicely.

20180424_221412

The last challenge is to get the centerboard pivot location placed at the right spot. The plans are good but my centerboard ended up slightly oversized and I have to figure out if I will need to modify the board .

20180421_162631

I still need to put graphite epoxy on the inside faces of the centerboard case and shape the forward brace.

then I tackled the breasthooks.¬† In the plans for the gunter yawl and gunter sloop version the breasthooks are much smaller than for the lug yawl version. The sides are only 6″ long vs. 10″ long.

20180414_213333

I made templates and played around with different ways to scribe the inside curve. I tried a compass but in the end fount that a very thin and flexible batten was the easiest.

20180414_213342

the wood came from offcuts from my neighbours hose renovation. He had found reclaimed fir from a warehouse demolition that was milled into 3×14 lumber for his rafters. Needless to say this douglas fir was dry and seasoned. When I glued it I put in threaded bronze rod to help tie the pieces together so that the glued surface is not the only part taking the load.

20180428_151532

this is patient work with multiple angles to keep track of. I felt like the breasthooks are one of the most sculptural parts I’ve had to work on so far.

20180428_151538

I worked at it with the block plane, the belt sander the random orbital sander and the very useful rasp.

20180428_191453_001

I alternated working on the bow and stern breasthooks to try and keep each learning from one process fresh for the other.  The only concern that came up is that there was a very slight offset in height of the gunwhales at the bow. The bow breasthook had to be shaped in such a way to to blend the difference and hide it.

20180428_163351

bit by bit I got it to take form

20180428_205602

and I’m quite happy with the results.

20180505_191150

 

 

 

Caledonia yawl project: the sixth strakes 

Today I started on the beveling of the landing for the sixth strakes. Before starting I laid them up in place to see how they landed and mark where I’ll cut the gains on the ends. It also feels good to get a preview of what it will look like.

20161105_144507
Cutting the gains on the very long sixth strake. Most of the gain is cut on the receiving fifth strake, (70-75%) but I like to cut the strake being fitted as well to leave a little more wood on both.
20161105_160103
The receiving gain all set to be glued up.
20161105_160112
The port sixth strake all whetted out with un-thickened epoxy before adding the thickening fibers West 406 & 403.
20161105_171326
All clamped up. It is 13-14 degrees C in Vancouver these days so it should set nicely overnight.

I was able to include my children with the removal of the clamps after it was glued up and they participated in roughing in the seventh strake on the starboard side.

20161106_130933
Removing the clamps the next day.
20161016_192950
Help with roughing in the seventh starboard strake.

 

20161016_191925
removing the clamps from the starboard sixth strake glue-up.

I’ll close this post with a little video of my daughter helping me with the removal of the clamps.

20161106_131030
Removing the clamps.