I’m still feeling sick today, I was supposed to go cross country skiing today but my body would not have enjoyed it much. So I’m back in the boat shed.
My hot box worked well and the epoxy seems to have set well on the garboard scarfs.
There was just a little squeeze out that was easy to sand smooth. This certainly builds confidence as I now know my procedures seem to work well. Six more pairs of strakes to go or twenty four more scarfs to glue.
Ian Outghtred’s instructions say to glue the scarfs for the second strake as you are laying them down on the garboards as their is quite a lot of twist at the forefoot of the strakes.
So I’m leaving #2 for now and moving on to number 3 strakes.
There’s have quite a bit more curve than the garboards.
I coated the scarfs with clear epoxy to let it soak in the fibers before adding a bonding filler to the epoxy and applying more.
Some squeeze out lets me know that there are no voids.
I then clamped them down with a board and a few drywall screws.
Today despite a nasty cold that was keeping me from thinking straight for the last couple days I managed to get out of the house.
As it is winter and my West System hardener 205 is recommended to be used above 4 degrees Celsius I needed to devise a portable hot box to help keep the temperature slightly warmer and ensure that the epoxy gets a chance to kick. I came up with a design that should accommodate most of the glueing of scarfs, the laminating of the stems, centreboard and rudder.
I built a 32″x60″ frame wrapped in foil backed bubble wrap.
The scarfs once glued and covered by wax paper I clamped down with a block of plywood and some screws. We’ll see how it set tomorrow.
Then with a 75w bulb as the heat source mounted inside I placed the hot box over the glued scarfs to set overnight. The access hole just gets covered by a piece of plywood.
With some luck it will set nicely and I’ll be able to repeat the process for the other six pairs of strakes.
Today I put down two sheets of plywood on the strongback to create the flat surface I will use to glue up the scarfs for each strake of the boat.
There are 26 scarfs to glue and on this platform I easily can do two strakes at a time. So as long as it does not get too cold (my shed is dry but not heated) It should take me seven days to glue up all the strakes.
To properly glue the scarfs it is necessary to line them up using a string guide provided by Hews & co.
The platform also becomes a great space to lay out Ian Oughtred’s plans.
Yesterday with a group of friends we continued a tradition of meeting down at the Jericho Sailing Centre, donning our wetsuits or drysuits and heading out into Burrard Inlet for a stand up paddle. This year we waited a day after our usual boxing day outing to match up our paddle with the highest high tide of the year, which was a 5m tide. Fortunately their was little wind or waves and the tide did not bring with it any flooding or damage to the coastline. But after the last king tide earlier in the month where the wind came up, the Sailing Centre was prepared with sandbags.
Dominique brought a his medium format film camera to capture the moment which was fun. We needed to flag down a runner to actually trip the shutter.
Here is my picture panorama of the set up for this.
We had a 6-8 knot breeze from the SE for our paddle. As we made it close to the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club docks it started to rain, so unlike the year before where we managed to go hang around the freighters in complete calm and sunshine, our excursion this year was a little closer to shore but just as memorable.
After nearly a month of rotating colds, strep throat and mor colds affecting my family as well as a couple weekends with cross country running races at Jericho I finally found myself with a day in the boat shed to work on my Caledonia yawl project.
As Patrice has some wood in the shed from the house renovation in the way I spent half my time building shelving for the wood and for my glued strakes once they are done.
My plan then is to use the Strongback as a platform to glue up all the strake scarfs. Then i will tackle the bow and stern stem laminations.
Once I’ve completed those two jobs I’ll be ready to put up the station Molds.
Today my friend Dom asked me to help him take his boat RedFive, a J30 back from the boat yard in Steveston where it had bee hauled out and sanded down, to the RVYC marina at Jericho.
We set off at 14h00 in a light drizzle and a rising tide.
By the time we got to the Fraser lightship station at the mouth of the south arm where we would be able to turn north, the wind had freshness up to 12 knots out of the northwest. As we moved towards Point Grey the wind rose steadily and peaked at about 20 knots with a solid set of waves hitting us on the nose.
We finally saw the bell buoy Q62 at sunset.
And turned east into the darkness as the wind started to freshen up behind us.
We tied up the boat in the dark and were quite happy to stop in the club for a bite to eat, warm up and watch the final game of the regular season for the Whitecaps on the television in the corner.
Today was a nice warm front ahead of an ominous rain system barrelling down on Vancouver.
I felt the pressure of getting the roof up today.
Working alone I managed to finish the walls and clear out the extra wood and off cuts that were against the fence.
All the trusses were ready and the trick was to put it all un on my own.
With a few braces I managed fairly well, but I was quite happy to see Patrice arrive at four and in the last hour we got all the trusses and. Strapping down. Just as it started to rain I got three of the corrugated roof sheets up. So I’m one quarter of the way towards having a dry boat shed.
Now the only thing I’m missing is a couple gutters to keep the people passing by dry.
Projects, images, and ideas for my little piece of the internet