This weekend I was able to get back up to speed on my Caledonia yawl project after missing a week. I glued one of the two scarfs on strake 2 and will leave the other to do when I’ve got the station molds up as there is the most twist in the forefoot of strake 2 and it will be easier apparently to glue it down first and then do the scarfs.
It was then time to tackle the apron and stems of this Caledonia Yawl. I’ve decided to try the method of laminating thin strips 1/8″ of Douglas fir with epoxy and West system 403 microfibre additive. The part I’ve been struggling with is that in Ian Oughtred’s plans the apron is 2″ wide. So I need to find a stock of wood that is at least 2.25 or 2.5 inches wide so that after it is laminated I have a little margin to plane it down and fair it.
But all the standar lumber jumps from 1.75″ to 3.5″ and it seems wasteful to rip down a 4×4 timber just to get something 2.5″ wide. After a visit to a couple lumber yards I decided to get a few vertical grain clear 2×3’s and rip them along the wide edge to get the width of strips I need.
The stems are only specified to be 1.75″ wide and so I am able to use rough fir 2x4s to cut the lamination strips and I’ll have 1/4 inch of material to plane off and to keep it true.
After using my full sized plans of the bow and stern apron and stem to punch through all the reference points onto my pattern board. I traced it all out again.
laying out the blocks I will use to clamp the laminated wood. Note that I’ve also put down packing tape to make sure the epoxy won’t stick to the pattern.
Things are progressing well on my Caledonia yawl project and I’m getting into a rhythm. My only question is that I hope that the scarf alignment guides will be good, as I won’t know until I place them on the molds.
I’m still feeling sick today, I was supposed to go cross country skiing today but my body would not have enjoyed it much. So I’m back in the boat shed.
My hot box worked well and the epoxy seems to have set well on the garboard scarfs.
There was just a little squeeze out that was easy to sand smooth. This certainly builds confidence as I now know my procedures seem to work well. Six more pairs of strakes to go or twenty four more scarfs to glue.
Ian Outghtred’s instructions say to glue the scarfs for the second strake as you are laying them down on the garboards as their is quite a lot of twist at the forefoot of the strakes.
So I’m leaving #2 for now and moving on to number 3 strakes.
There’s have quite a bit more curve than the garboards.
I coated the scarfs with clear epoxy to let it soak in the fibers before adding a bonding filler to the epoxy and applying more.
Some squeeze out lets me know that there are no voids.
I then clamped them down with a board and a few drywall screws.
Today despite a nasty cold that was keeping me from thinking straight for the last couple days I managed to get out of the house.
As it is winter and my West System hardener 205 is recommended to be used above 4 degrees Celsius I needed to devise a portable hot box to help keep the temperature slightly warmer and ensure that the epoxy gets a chance to kick. I came up with a design that should accommodate most of the glueing of scarfs, the laminating of the stems, centreboard and rudder.
I built a 32″x60″ frame wrapped in foil backed bubble wrap.
The scarfs once glued and covered by wax paper I clamped down with a block of plywood and some screws. We’ll see how it set tomorrow.
Then with a 75w bulb as the heat source mounted inside I placed the hot box over the glued scarfs to set overnight. The access hole just gets covered by a piece of plywood.
With some luck it will set nicely and I’ll be able to repeat the process for the other six pairs of strakes.
Today I put down two sheets of plywood on the strongback to create the flat surface I will use to glue up the scarfs for each strake of the boat.
There are 26 scarfs to glue and on this platform I easily can do two strakes at a time. So as long as it does not get too cold (my shed is dry but not heated) It should take me seven days to glue up all the strakes.
To properly glue the scarfs it is necessary to line them up using a string guide provided by Hews & co.
The platform also becomes a great space to lay out Ian Oughtred’s plans.
After nearly a month of rotating colds, strep throat and mor colds affecting my family as well as a couple weekends with cross country running races at Jericho I finally found myself with a day in the boat shed to work on my Caledonia yawl project.
As Patrice has some wood in the shed from the house renovation in the way I spent half my time building shelving for the wood and for my glued strakes once they are done.
My plan then is to use the Strongback as a platform to glue up all the strake scarfs. Then i will tackle the bow and stern stem laminations.
Once I’ve completed those two jobs I’ll be ready to put up the station Molds.
Today was a nice warm front ahead of an ominous rain system barrelling down on Vancouver.
I felt the pressure of getting the roof up today.
Working alone I managed to finish the walls and clear out the extra wood and off cuts that were against the fence.
All the trusses were ready and the trick was to put it all up on my own.
With a few braces I managed fairly well, but I was quite happy to see Patrice arrive at four and in the last hour we got all the trusses and. Strapping down. Just as it started to rain I got three of the corrugated roof sheets up. So I’m one quarter of the way towards having a dry boat shed.
Now the only thing I’m missing is a couple gutters to keep the people passing by dry.
Projects, images, and ideas for my little piece of the internet