Caledonia Yawl Project: adding the brass rub strips

After two layers of grey primer and three layers of Cloverdale paint marine maintenance alkyd enamel on the boat I’m hoping I’ve laid down enough to give this hull a good start.

20171112_114845

I had anticipated this day and spent quite some time chasing down 1/2 round brass rub strips in Canada.

I finally found that the best source for me in Vancouver was to order from Alaska Copper and Brass and go pick it up at the shipping warehouse at 225 North Rd, Coquitlam.

I was able to get the lengths I needed of 3/4″ half round brass as well as 1/2″ half round brass.

20171111_213429

The next step was to drill the holes and countersinks for the bronze fasteners.  I used a prick punch to set the spot for the drill press to set nicely and not slip off the convex shape of the half round.

20171111_213952

I then used a countersink bit to drill out the space for the bronze screw to sit in nicely below the surface of the half round.

et voila 30′ of drilled brass.

20171111_221254

All that was left is the filing of the ends into nice rounded shapes.

20171118_161412

The next step of fitting it to the keel and the runners was relatively straightforward.  I was just careful to drill pilot holes and carefully screw in the silicon bronze screws.

20171118_163953

This capping off of the keel really felt good. I still have some 3 – 4′ ends left of the 1/2″ and 3/4″ half round and I look forward to installing it in critical spots on the gunwale and other spots where the rope might chafe.

Next up… flipping the hull over.

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.