Caledonia Yawl project: gluing down the centreboard well

This Sunday for father’s day as a present I got four hours of uninterrupted time. Enough to do the final step that will make this hull finally water tight.  Glue the centerboard well to the keelson.  I set up a string down the centre line to help me line up the centreboard well and make sure it is square.

20180617_143550

I then put the first layer of clear epoxy down on all the surfaces and then a nice thick layer of thickened epoxy.

20180617_154911

It was a hot day and I had to make sure my sweat did not drip down into the epoxy as I was troweling it down. This was a critical step and I am now looking forward to completing the centreboard well trim and side braces.

then on the next projects:

forward and aft bulkheads

Thwarts and benches,

Knees and floorboards,

Engine well.

Paint and install the hardware.

Find a good trailer for the boat.

 

Caledonia yawl project: gluing the centreboard well

20180601_084915

So now that all the component pieces of the centreboard well are completed it took me a couple hours to double check everything so that once I have it all glued i would drill the centreboard pivot in the right location.

20180602_170248

After double and triple checking squareness I glued it all together.

20180602_175802

I also finished making the little shims that fill the wedge shaped gap between the frame and the hull. It is important to fill this as the chain plate bolts would otherwise deform the hull to meet the frame.

20180602_193840

I then sealed the underside of the frame so that it is ready to be placed in the hull and not an area of potential rot.