Starting to glue up the scarfs

Today I put down two sheets of plywood on the strongback to create the flat surface I will use to glue up the scarfs for each strake of the boat.
There are 26 scarfs to glue and on this platform I easily can do two strakes at a time. So as long as it does not get too cold (my shed is dry but not heated) It should take me seven days to glue up all the strakes.

IMG_8713.JPG

To properly glue the scarfs it is necessary to line them up using a string guide provided by Hews & co.

IMG_8716.JPG

The platform also becomes a great space to lay out Ian Oughtred’s plans.

IMG_8712.JPG

IMG_8719.JPG

Paddling for the 2014 king tide

Yesterday with a group of friends we continued a tradition of meeting down at the Jericho Sailing Centre, donning our wetsuits or drysuits and heading out into Burrard Inlet for a stand up paddle. This year we waited a day after our usual boxing day outing to match up our paddle with the highest high tide of the year, which was a 5m tide. Fortunately their was little wind or waves and the tide did not bring with it any flooding or damage to the coastline. But after the last king tide earlier in the month where the wind came up, the Sailing Centre was prepared with sandbags.

King tide at Jericho Dec 27 10:11am

Dominique brought a his medium format film camera to capture the moment which was fun. We needed to flag down a runner to actually trip the shutter.

Dec27th Paddling crew002.jpg

Here is my picture panorama of the set up for this.

King tide at Jericho Dec 27 10:11am

We had a 6-8 knot breeze from the SE for our paddle. As we made it close to the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club docks it started to rain, so unlike the year before where we managed to go hang around the freighters in complete calm and sunshine, our excursion this year was a little closer to shore but just as memorable.

Finishing the Strongback

After nearly a month of rotating colds, strep throat and mor colds affecting my family as well as a couple weekends with cross country running races at Jericho I finally found myself with a day in the boat shed to work on my Caledonia yawl project.
As Patrice has some wood in the shed from the house renovation in the way I spent half my time building shelving for the wood and for my glued strakes once they are done.

IMG_8441.JPG

My plan then is to use the Strongback as a platform to glue up all the strake scarfs. Then i will tackle the bow and stern stem laminations.
IMG_8444.JPG

Once I’ve completed those two jobs I’ll be ready to put up the station Molds.